Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Honey B


In 2011, I lost my cat, Samantha, and my dog, Diogi. After losing Diogi in September, life was not the same. Being an animal person, it was heartbreaking to be in an animal-free home. We adopted a puppy in October that was mean and I thought we were done. We kept her for 6 weeks and returned her to the rescue agency because we couldn't raise a mean dog with a toddler. The heartache returned.

In January 2012, I decided that it was time to try again. I went to the local shelter to 'look'. Growing up, I had a boxer name Harlee that was an amazing dog and I've always had a strong love for the breed. There in the stall stood this sad, tiny little boxer. Knowing their strength, I wasn't sure if I was even going to get her out for a meet-and-greet in case she wasn't nice. Typical boxers will wiggle and jump and display over-excitement. She did not. After several demands from the 3-year old that we 'meet the brown one!', I asked to get her out. We went in a room and she immediately licked me and leaned on me. I was in love and that was it. $20 later, I was headed home with a dog that my husband had not even met! He walked through the door and they bonded immediately. Whew!

We tried putting her in a crate at night but that didn't go over well. We tried crating her when we left but that didn't go over well. We ended up letting her roam free and she was perfect. Fully house trained, non-chewer, non-barker, just very chilled out. We really lucked out. She is the sweetest, most loving animal I have ever met. Aside from her insecurities (she follows me into the bathroom!) she is perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better companion for our child as she tolerates just about anything, and I know the kid gets on her nerves.

Needless to say, we are in love and there will likely be plenty of posts about our sweet love, Honey B.

No comments: